Monday, July 21, 2008

A Trip Down Tetanus Lane


Does anyone remember this?? I used to have one of these when I was a kid. I had a flashback the other day about another toy I had, Major Matt Mason. It was sort of a GI Joe astronaut. It was out in the very early 70's, when the Apollo missions were going strong. So I did a google search for it, and I found a bunch of toys I had when I was a kid.

The Fort Apache was great, because, unlike toys today, it had small parts and sharp metal edges. And yet, I somehow managed to survive! Choking and lockjaw were just a part of growing up!

There was also a "medieval" version of this toy, too. It had actual catapults, with little plastic rocks. Great stuff.

There was one toy I couldn't find online anywhere. Maybe someone else remembers it too. I don't remember the name, (which may be why I can't find it online), but it was sort of like a small circular platform, with a clear plastic dome over it. the platform heated up. You put these little plastic squares, about an inch square, and 1/4 inch thick, in the pod. As it heated up, the squares transformed into monsters. Then, when you were done playing with the monsters, you put them back in the pod, heated them up, and stuck them in a sort of "car masher" for the monsters. You squished them back down into squares. You could do it over and over again. I can't count how many times I burned the shit out of myself. Who the hell knew you could sue for that shit now? It was a character builder. I must have character up the ying yang.

*update!*
I found it!
Photobucket
Photobucket
The little crank thing is what you turn to smoosh the monsters back into squares.
Anyone at all heard of it, or had it??

3 comments:

Erin said...

THAT is an awesome toy! They just don't make em like they used to, eh?

Unknown said...

I remember that monster oven thingy. Me and my brother had one.

Tom H. said...

No, Erin, they don't make toys ANYWHERE as cool as that anymore!
And, Cary, I'm glad you had one! Other than those pics I found, and you saying you had one, I thought maybe I made it up! I've never heard of anyone that had one.
*whew!* I'm NOT crazy.