Saturday, August 2, 2008

Ok, a little more bitching....

I have been living in my current house for one year. Happy anniversary to me. Anyhoo, my neighborhood grocery store is now------ Safeway. (I just threw up in my mouth a little).
Ok, quickly, a list of businesses I have a problem with:
Starbucks
Safeway

Maybe it's just businesses that start with "S".
Look out, Shopvac and Sara Lee. You're fuckin' next.

So, in the one year I've lived here, I go to Safeway once a week to get my groceries. So, roughly 52 trips to Safeway. 52 SHITTY trips to Safeway. And counting.

EVERY time I go there, I come out saying to myself "I'm NEVER going back in that shithole ever again." But I do, because it's the only grocery store in walking distance.
When I go in there, the clerks are downright rude. They drop my groceries on the ground when they run them over the scanner only to pick them up and continue like nothing happened. No "sorry, sir, can I get you another one?" (this has happened 4 times in the last year! In all my 44 years, I've never had that happen ONCE till I started going to this dump!)
I get money orders there to pay my bills. Usually I go somewhere else, but Safeway has stamps. So, I bite the bullet and go when I have to. EVERY time, I stand at the counter waiting for a clerk. If it's only 10 minutes I consider myself lucky. Employees walk past me and when I ask them if someone is working the counter, at best I get a slight acknowledgement that I exist, at worst I get completely ignored. When a clerk decides to show up, they act like they're doing me the biggest favor by waiting on me, punching buttons on the machine WAY too hard, shaking their head, acting VERY put out, like it's MY fucking fault their life sucks.
Sometimes I forget my stupid little Safeway card. When I tell the clerk, and give them my phone number, of COURSE it doesn't work. So, I guess I'm fucked. At Albertson's, they have a card at the register that they scan for me. Not here, though. You're fucked. And I get VERY pissed at myself when I forget my goddamn card. It's almost worth walking all the way back home to get it.
It's gotten so bad with this ass pit that the other night, when I found myself completely out of food, I actually ordered a $20 pizza from Round Table just so I wouldn't have to deal with their bullshit. $20 is my grocery money for the week.

Someone PLEASE open a new grocery store close to my house!

7 comments:

suzi boneshaker said...

you what is funny, the store in walking distance from my house is VONS which is a safeway store and they are REALLY nice and super helpful.
sorry your store is run by a bunch of jackasses.
have you spoken to a manager yet?
or better yet, write a letter (snail mail NOT an email) to the manager and send one to corporate and see what happens.
seriously!

Unknown said...

Are you talking about the Alhambra Safeway? I hated going there and was glad when the one on 19th opened up. Bigger store and seemingly better attitudes. How come you don't shop for groceries at the Sacto Co-op? Aren't they closer?

Anonymous said...

i think it totally depends on the management of the place. i used to go to the safeway on university avenue, and it was terrible, but other than that location, i usually get excellent service at safeway. safeway was the neighborhood grocery store in the foothill farms neighborhood i grew up in and the cashiers are excellent and know the regular customers by name. i just don't usually shop there because it's too expensive. my stepfather works at safeway, and they give him crappy schedules, but he has excellent benefits because it's union. he mainly got the job for the health benefits.

i used to live by an albertsons on fair oaks (now it's a savemart) and it was the worst. at night they always only had ONE register open and it was always run by the SLOWEST cashier, ever.

aaron & i do most our shopping at winco, but we try not to go after the first of the month...we go at the end of the month in the middle of the night when most of their customers have already burned through their welfare and food stamps. it's a much more pleasant shopping experience.

-laura

Tom H. said...

I guess everyone's experience is different. I used to go to Albertson's by where I used to live, and it was great. The only downfall was it wasn't 24 hours. It closed at 2, though, so it wasn't so bad. They had the self-check stands which I loved, cuz I didn't have to deal with clerks, pleasant or surly. If I couldn't find something, someone always seemed happy to help.
I think it's just the Alhambra Safeway that's bad, because I've heard the downtown one is much better. Just too far away to walk.
No, Suzi, I haven't spoken to a manager. I guess I should. A one-year streak of shitty shopping experiences should be brought to someone's attention.

Kev Seconds said...

Don't go to the Co-op if your grocery budget is $20 a week :)

Erin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Erin said...

Too bad you don't live closer to me. We have a Bel Air and they are the nicest, most friendly cashiers EVER. A little too nice for me...people make me nervous :)