Thursday, September 25, 2008

Come back, Johnny...

A few days ago was the anniversary of Johnny Ramone's death.

It got me thinking about an encounter I had with him years ago.
It was the spring of 1980, and the Ramones were coming to a small college about an hour from where I lived in Pennsylvania.
I got right up front against the left side of the stage where Johnny stands. He kept throwing guitar picks out to the crowd, but, being right under his feet, they were all going over my head.
At one point, he looked down at me and I mouthed the words "Can I have a pick?"
I must have looked so pitiful and pathetic that he dropped a pick on the stage right in front of me. I quickly put my hand over it. Woo hoo! I got a pick from Johnny Ramone!!
Suddenly, I got punched in the back of the head, knocking my glasses onto the stage and momentarily stunning me. I scrambled to retrieve my glasses. When I finally got them on, I looked around and my pick was gone! Seriously! Someone punched me in the back of the head for a goddamn guitar pick!
Well, apparently Johnny saw all this, and more than likely thinking I was even MORE pitiful and pathetic than before, handed another pick directly to me. I was so happy!
I still carry that pick in my wallet 28 years later.
I saw the Ramones 14 times after that. Everytime it was an incredible show.
So, thanks, Johnny, for the pick and the music and the memories.

1 comment:

Erin said...

This is a lovely story, Tom! (and I mean lovely in the most masculine sense)